Cork Commissioner for Oaths
Travelling service - 7 days


Do you have a document that needs the signature of a Commissioner for Oaths / Peace Commissioner / Notary Public / Notary / Practising Solicitor? We can sign most of these documents

We operate a convenient, confidental, customised Travelling service covering Cork City and suburbs, 7 days

For example: we can visit your home or workplace at a time that suits you. This saves you using up valuable holiday days from work, it also saves you the hassle and dead time of sitting in traffic and looking for parking. Instead, you just tell us a time and place that suits you, and we will be there. Our service is particularly useful where two people, such as a couple, need to sign the same document at the same time.

Page last updated September, 2018


Commissioner for Oaths, Cork
Mr David O'Sullivan
BA, DipBusLegalStudies, HDipHRM

Travelling service
7 days
Cork City & suburbs

Call: 087 900 43 46
Text / SMS / WhatsApp / Viber 087 900 43 46



A Commissioner for Oaths shall charge a proper professional fee which is appropriate for the level of service offered, and which will enable the Commissioner to meet the cost of acting properly, and in accordance with the relevant rules and the demands of good professional practice. 

We operate a customised travelling service, where every job is different (different location and different number of documents). Below is the standard fee structure. Feel free to contact us for a no-obligation quote for your specific needs.

Standard service  € 65 total


This covers the following

* We travel to you
everywhere in Cork City and suburbs
(see map)

* 7 days
Specialising in Evenings and weekends
Mon-Fri 4.30pm-9.30pm
Sat-Sun 9.30am-9.30pm

* Same day service is usually possible

(we always try to facilitate 'last minute' or urgent matters)

* We sign and rubber stamp up to two documents
(for the same person, for the same matter)
(extra documents - if any - may cost more, see below)

* We help you to complete your documents
(giving you the benefit of our real-world experience with various agencies,
forms, and processes)

Loyalty discount
Quantity discount
If you have used our services before then please mention this. If you have many documents to be signed in the one session please mention this also for our best quote.
Optional Extra services


We can customise our service to meet your exact needs:

* Signing and stamping of extra documents
above and beyond what is included in the standard package:
€ 10 each for Affidavits
€ 2 each for Exhibits

* We can travel beyond our main service area of Cork City and suburbs to anywhere in County Cork if required

* Mobile printing, mobile photocopying, mobile scanning, sending an email with an attached .PDF file scan of documents

* Providing blank forms

* Creating custom documents

* Hand delivery of signed documents

Payment methods Payment is due at the time of signing.

We accept:

* Cash
* Visa, MasterCard, American Express
* Cheques
(Cheques accepted from regular business customers only)
* PayPal
(if requested, use the 'Buy Now' button immediately below)

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork
Click here to scroll to top of page

What to bring

Your Passport

Photo ID is needed for:
Affidavits / Statutory Declarations / Having signature witnessed.

A Passport is the best form of photo ID, but for certain documents an Irish credit card sized Driving Licence will be acceptable.

If your document is an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration then we must see you signing in person.

Your document(s)

While it may appear to you that you need only bring the final signature page you should actually bring the entire document. This is because your Affidavit / Statutory Declaration might refer to Exhibit(s), and if so then the front page of those Exhibits (or a cover sheet) needs to be signed by the Commissioner for Oaths at the same time as the main document.

You should complete as much of your document as you can before you meet the Commissioner for Oaths, however do not write in the final section of the document where signatures are to be witnessed. This section should only be completed by the Commissioner for Oaths. This final section is known as the 'Jurat' and will look something like this:

   "SWORN/DECLARED before me...
    this [blank] day of [blank]... at [blank]... etc.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork
Click here to scroll to top of page

Travel area

We routinely travel everywhere in Cork City and suburbs (see map below, this covers a large area). We can also travel further into County Cork if required.


(within Cork City
and suburbs)
Travel within Cork City and suburbs is included in the standard service fee.

Examples of areas covered in Cork City and suburbs:

Cork City Centre, Ballincollig, Ballinlough, Ballintemple, Ballyvolane,  Bishopstown, Blackpool, Blackrock, Carrigrohane Road, Carrigaline, Ringaskiddy, Crosshaven, Currabinny, Fountainstown, Myrtleville, Minane Bridge, Robert's Cove, Fota, CIT / Cork Institute of Technology, Cork College of Commerce, City Gate Mahon, City Park Mahon, Mahon Point, Dillon's Cross, Donnybrook, Douglas, Fairhill, Farranree, Mayfield, Whites Cross, Dublin Hill, Dublin Pike, Kerry Pike, Frankfield, Glanmire, Grange, Douglas, Glasheen, Glounthane, Grange, Gurranabraher, Hollyhill, Knockraha, Waterfall, Ballinora, Little Island, Mahon, Model Farm Road, Maryborough Hill, Wellington Road, Montenotte, Monkstown, Ovens, Passage West, Riverstown, Rochestown, Shanakiel, Silversprings, St Lukes, Sunday's Well, Tivoli, Togher, Turners Cross, UCC / University College Cork, Victoria Cross, Dennehy's Cross, Western Road, Wilton, Kinsale, Dunderrow, Oysterhaven, Summer Cove, Belgooly, Riverstick, Fivemilebridge, Minane Bridge, Tracton, Nohoval, Cork Airport, Ringaskiddy, Midleton, Ballinhassig, Halfway, Innishannon (sometimes misspelled as Inishannon), Crossbarry, Cork side of Bandon, and many more.

Cork City
and suburbs,
into other parts of
County Cork)
We will happily travel further into County Cork if required. The fee may be slightly higher than for the City and suburbs.

Contact us for a precise quote.

Example of areas covered in County Cork (beyond the City and suburbs) are:
Clonakilty, Inchydoney, Bandon, Macroom, Ballyvourney, Whitechurch, Fermoy, Cloyne, and many more.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork
Click here to scroll to top of page

Why use us?

1. We travel to you - This is convenient and saves your valuable time, and hassle
2. We are available Evenings and weekends - so you don't need to take time off work
3. We accept Cash and Cards - Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and even PayPal
4. We provide receipts - which is very useful for business customers
5. We have a wide range of correctly worded rubber stamps
6. We have years of experience, and will most likely have seen your type of document before, so we may be able to help you avoid common pitfalls
7. Our service is provided by a native English speaker, with lifelong experience of Irish authorities - so we are more likely to spot errors on your document
8. Personal service - You can speak with our principal directly whenever you wish. You will not have to deal with a Switchboard or Secretary.
9. We carry proof that we are a Commissioner for Oaths - You can inspect our Supreme Court Certificate of Appointment and Personal Passport. We also own the domain names "" and "".

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork
Click here to scroll to top of page

Services we offer

Signing all
for use in Ireland

Administering any Oath / sometimes called "Swearing an Affidavit"

For example:
* Affidavit of Freedom to Marry
(we can provide the blank form for this also)

* Sole Guardian Affidavit when applying for Passport for a child
(we can provide the blank form for this also)

* Affidavit of Means

* Affidavit of Welfare

* Statement of Affairs

* All Revenue Commissioner Affidavits
for any purpose

* Oath of Executor (part of the probate process)

* Affidavit of testamentary capacity by Medical Doctor (part of the probate process)

* Affidavit to prove non-ownership of a foreign property when applying for social housing (Sometimes required by a housing authority (such as a County or City Council) when a UK PN1 Land Registry Search has returned information that a person appears to own property in England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland) we can provide the blank form for this.

* Affidavit Form 47 used by the Land Registry 'Application for registration by surviving joint tenant(s) - and indeed all other Land Registry Affidavits

* Affidavit in lieu of a Lost Document

* Affidavit of loss

* Affidavit of Attesting witness
(Part of the deed poll 'change of name' process). We can assist you with that process by providing deed paper, and using our mobile printer to ensure you are using the correct layout, in order to reduce the chances of your documents being rejected.

Signing all
Statutory Declarations
for use in Ireland

Taking any Declaration or "Stat Dec"

For example:
* Statutory Declaration by a company competing a tender/tendering process for work from a local authority/state agency/European agency

* Statutory Declaration of Service

* Statutory Declaration that a property is not a family home (also known as Family Home Declaration/FHD)

* For landlords: Statutory Declaration attached to Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) Notice of Tenant Termination where the Landlord intends to sell the dwelling, or requires the dwelling for his own use, or requires the dwelling for the use of a member of his family

* Statutory Declaration MP2A or MP2A(1) by Irish citizen seeking Certificate de Coutume/
Nulla Osta for marriage abroad or forms MP2B, MP2D, MP2E, MP2F (with Birth Certificate as an Exhibit)

* University / College Statutory Declaration for Replacement Parchment (e.g. Cork Institute of Technology / Cork IT / CIT)

* Statutory Declaration of Father and Mother in relation to Joint Guardianship of a child (we can also provide the blank form)

* For teachers: Statutory Declaration required for Department of Education Home Based July Provision for Teachers

* For owners of commercial property: Statutory Declaration for refund of City/County Council commercial rates (this would be a business expense for you, so do ask for a receipt)

* Statutory Declaration of eligibility and suitability under the Adoption Act (often with Marriage Certificate as an Exhibit)

* Statutory Declaration required as part of application form for a Gender Recognition Certificate

* For Irish citizens emigrating to Canada: Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union
a photocopy as
being a
True Copy
of the original
Also known as a "Certified Copy". This is referred to in the US as a "Notarized Copy" and in India it's called an "Attested Copy".

You should bring the original document and the copy. Your photocopy should be in colour as many authorities no longer accept black and white copies.

If you do not have a photocopy then we have a portable photocopier. We can scan all sizes of paper (including A3) and reduce to A4.

For example:
* Copy of College or University  Degree / Parchment / Testatum

* Copy of a Passport Copy or Driving Licence / Drivers Licence

* Copy of Bank Statements for Australian Immigration authorities or other purposes

* Copy of Birth Certificate

* Copy of Marriage Certificate

* Copy of Employers Reference letter

* Copy of School letter for Irish Immigration or other purposes

* Copy of any Letter / Invoice / Business document / Company document for any purpose
Attesting the execution of a bond / deed For example...

* Witnessing the signing of a Deed of Separation or Separation Agreement (we can witness both the husband and wife sign, or just one party, plus we can travel to each seperately if required)

Witnessing a signature on any other document

Sometimes called "Counter signing" in the UK, or "Notarizing a signature" in American terminology

If you would like your signature witnessed for any purpose, it can be done.

For example...
* Witnessing a parents signature
on letter of consent to travel / letter of authorisation to travel / letter of authorization to travel (used when a child or minor is travelling abroad without both parents. Following the 'Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction' many Airlines and other agencies require such a letter. We can also provide a blank form for this)

Witnessing a signature on a business contract / personal agreement

Providing blank forms
from stock

Usually a person needing the services of a Commissioner for Oaths will already have a blank form which was given to them by some agency/company/person, but if not then we carry forms that can be used for many situations.
Creating a document
(which is not in stock) for a particular circumstance
Providing complimentary
Sale of Postage stamps
At face value
(prior to meeting)

Customers can email any documents they need printed related to their signing to
(during meeting)
We have a portable printer / photocopier / scanner.
Sending a scan of a document just signed to an email address

Hand delivering
an envelope

You might want your signed document delivered to someone: such as a Solicitor or Accountant. However, we do not provide a summons serving service.
Services for Solicitors Solicitors often need the signatures of clients witnessed. 

For example:
* A Solicitor in another County might post an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration to a client in Cork.

The client might be too busy during office hours to visit an Independent Commissioner.

One cannot - of course - witness a signature by post, so we have the solution. We can visit your client in his/her home or office, witness the document(s), and can also deliver/post the signed document back to you if you wish. Contact us - as and when required - to arrange attendance.
Services for Accountants
Accountants often need the signatures of clients witnessed.

For example:

* Inland Revenue Affidavit (Revenue Form CA24)

* Liquidator's Affidavit (CRO Form (E4)

* Other forms under the Companies Act 2014

* Affidavit verifying petition

* Affidavit in support of list of contributories

* Affidavit of official liquidator in support of application for a call

 *Affidavit of non-payment

* Affidavit of official liquidator as to debts

* Affidavit of creditor in proof of debt

* Liquidator's affidavit verifying his account under section 306

* Affidavit verifying an application for certification of Liquidator in a creditors’ voluntary winding up.

For the avoidance of doubt even if an Accountant also happens to be a Commissioner for Oaths, or a similar office holder, they should be careful not to sign any Affidavit or Declaration for their own clients. Such a document could be questioned in the future. This is because a Commissioner is required to be an independent witness.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork
Click here to scroll to top of page

Foreign documents or "Can we sign documents that are being sent abroad / overseas / outside of Ireland"?

In practice mostly yes for English speaking countries where the office of Commissioner for Oaths / Commissioner of Oaths also exists. The rules vary between countries. Ultimately it depends on what a particular foreign authority will accept. Oftentimes a document that needs to be signed will be accompanied by an instruction sheet outlining which "witnesses" are acceptable. The signature of Mr David O'Sullivan Commissioner for Oaths has been accepted by multiple authorities in English speaking countries including Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and other countries beyond Ireland. Mr David O'Sullivan has also been appointed as a Commissioner for Oaths in an overseas Commonwealth jurisdiction.

Most documents are written for use in their own country.

For example:
* A document from
might refer to signature of a "Justice of the Peace" or "Commissioner for Declarations" or an "Authorised Witness".

* A document from
South Africa
might refer to a "Commissioner of Oaths" or "Kommissaris van Ede".

* A document from
might refer to a "Commissioner for Taking Affidavits" or "Commissioner for Taking Oaths"

* A document from the
United States
might call for a "Notarization", or to be "Notarized" by a US "Notary Public" or US "Public Notary" or Lawyer or Attorney.

* A document from the
United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales etc.)
might refer to the need for a "counter signature" or to be "counter signed".

* Sometimes documents written by lay persons might even refer to jumbled offices which don't actually exist such as a "Commissioner of the Peace" or "Commissioner of the Oaths" or "Oaths Commissioner". Occasionally, older Irish documents might refer to "a Commissioner to administer Oaths for the High Court" or "a Commissioner for administering oaths in the Supreme Court".

While the terms above vary they all essentially refer to "a person authorised by law to administer an oath" or "a person authorised by law to take and receive an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration". In Ireland the title for such a person is a "Commissioner for Oaths". The laws of many countries accept that when a document is being signed outside of their own borders it can be signed by a person who is authorised to administer oaths in that foreign place. (i.e. the signature of an Irish Commissioner for Oaths would be acceptable).

Staying with the topic of Ireland: Documents which need the signature of a Peace Commissioner can also be signed by Mr David O'Sullivan Commissioner for Oaths.

Sometimes a document will call for the signature of a Practising Solicitor / Practising Solicitor, if that document is a Statutory Declaration or an Affidavit then it can be signed by Mr David O'Sullivan Commissioner for Oaths even if the document itself does not state this.

Documents which appear to need the signature of an Irish Notary Public can also in many cases also be signed by Mr David O'Sullivan Commissioner for Oaths. If we can sign your document we will, and if we cannot then we will suggest the name of another service provider who may be able to assist you. 

Apostille / Legalisation
If a document is to be sent outside Ireland then sometimes the person / party to whom it is being sent might ask that it is "Apostilled" or "Legalised" before it leaves Ireland. Theses are two different streams, and are both are optional extra steps followed after a person/ agency in Ireland has signed or stamped a document.

A Document signed by Mr David O'Sullivan Commissioner for Oaths can have an Apostille affixed to it, and that will be acceptable in certain countries.

However, if your document requires "Legalisation" then we suggest you instead visit a Notary Public. A Notary Public is a person who specialises in signing foreign documents. The Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland does not publish a list of fees, but it is generally understood that a Commissioner for Oaths tends to be cheaper per document in terms of their Notarial Fees.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Click here to scroll to top of page


​We have a long list of individual and corporate clients satisfied with our services. For reasons of client confidentiality we do not however disclose their details for promotional purposes.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Click here to scroll to top of page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Below are some questions that have been asked of us before

Q: Will you travel beyond Cork City and suburbs?
A: Yes, while main service area is Cork City and suburbs (see map), we can also travel further into County Cork. We would be happy to quote a fee based on the particular distance and time.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: Can you visit my home at 7pm on a Sunday?
A: Yes, in fact most non-business customers prefer a house-call / house call because it is so convenient. Yes, we are available on Evenings and Weekends.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: Can you sign my documents in a neutral location such as a Library or Coffee Shop/Cafe?
A: Yes, we will travel to any location in Cork City and suburbs. We understand that some documents can be of a sensitive personal or financial nature and you may not wish your family / housemates to know of them.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: I need a certified copy, but I don't have a photocopier
A: Yes, we have a portable photocopier and scanner.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: A work colleague of happens to be a Commissioner for Oaths (or similar) can he/she sign my form?
A: No. A Commissioner for Oaths (or similar) must be an independent witness who does not have an interest in the document. Depending on the importance of your document having a work colleague witness your signature could be very risky for you because your document could be found to be invalid in the future if it was challenged

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: In relation to Photo ID.... What is an 'EU ID card'?
A: Since 2008, when a person is signing an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration their witness (the Commissioner for Oaths) has been required to see valid Photo ID. A Passport is the most popular form (a driving licence is not acceptable according the the two Acts). Another form of ID that is acceptable is an "EU ID card". Ireland does not issue these but mainland EU countries do. Examples of EU ID card titles are: Dowód osobisty, Personalausweis,  Carte d’identité, CNIS, Documento nacional de identidad (DNI), Identiteitskaart, Cartão de Cidadão, Lichna karta, Občanský průkaz, Občiansky preukaz, Isikutunnistus, henkilökortti, Carta d'Identità Elettronica, Identitätskarte, nationellt id-kort, Osobna iskaznica.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: Will you travel to Dublin?

A: No, we are based in Cork City and suburbs, and will also travel to County Cork.
We do not cover other counties.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: Do you have an office that we can travel to? / What is your address?

A: No, we specialise in a convenient travelling service. This means you do not have to wait in traffic, you do not have to pay for parking, you do not have to wait in in a waiting room. We do all that.
Our receipts and stamps do however contain our physical address for verification purposes.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Can a Commissioner for Oaths decline to sign a document?

A: We specialise in a convenient travelling service, so the first time we see your document will be after we have travelled to you. By that stage we will have incurred travel and time costs. So, at the booking stage we will ask you some routine questions to establish the nature of your document, and ensure that we can indeed sign it. If we cannot sign your document we will suggest an alternative solution or service provider. Accordingly, please do feel free to contact us if you are in doubt.


Examples of when we cannot sign a document are
1) When we are asked to 'witness' the signature of a person who is not present. This is known as signing in absentia, and it not allowed.
2) Where the signer is not able to provide adequate photo ID or otherwise identify themselves
3) Another reason for refusal is where a Commissioner is of the view that a person does not understand what they are signing, or will refuse to sign on arrival
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: Can you witness a signature of a person who is not here?
(e.g. because they are on holidays, or are too elderly to travel)

A: No. For a signature to be witnessed the person making it must be physically present, and must sign in front of the Commissioner for Oaths. The practice of having a signature 'witnessed' without the signer being present is referred to as 'witnessing in absentia' and is not allowed by rules. The practical problems of this are that a document - relied on in court for example - may subsequently be challenged and found to be invalid. We provide a travelling service so we would be happy to travel to the signer in Cork.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Do you serve summons / are you a summons server?

A: No, we do not provide that service. However, for convenience we can deliver other signed documents if a customer wishes.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Is a Commissioner for Oaths paid by the Government, State, or [any other body]

A: No. We have no financial relationship with whatever agency may have asked you to complete a form. A Commissioner for Oaths does not receive any payment from the Government, or state agencies or bodies. A Commissioner for Oaths is an independent witness.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: I have a Affidavit or Statutory Declaration, can I have it signed by a Garda / member of An Garda Siochana, instead of a Commissioner for Oaths?

A: No. In Ireland a member of the police force cannot sign such documents for the public. In Ireland that function is performed by a Commissioner for Oaths.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: What is the Irish for Commissioner for Oaths?
A: In the Irish language / Gaeilge the office is referred to as 'Coimisinéir m mionnaí' or 'Coimisinéirí Mionn'. In Polish the closest wording is 'Komisarz ds. Przysięgi'
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Will your Commissioner for Oaths signature be acceptable to CORU, HIQA, HSE etc.?
A: Yes. Wherever you see "Commissioner for Oaths" listed as an acceptable signatory on a form in Ireland then our signature will be accepted and recognised. A Commissioner for Oaths is an independent person.
Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Are you a Notary Public?

A: No - but please keep reading - our title is 'Commissioner for Oaths' meaning we can sign all documents for use in the Republic of Ireland. In addition, we can sign many - but not all - documents that are being sent abroad. A Notary Public - in contrast - is a person who specialises in foreign documents only. The Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland does not publish a list of fees, but it is generally understood that a Commissioner for Oaths tends to be cheaper per document.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork

Q: Do you provide legal advice?

A: Naturally, we will help you with the completion of your forms by using our experience and knowledge to assist you, but we do not specialise in providing legal advice.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Can you witness the signing of a will?

A: Yes, we will witness a signature on almost any document that you wish. However, we do not provide legal advice, thus it is advisable that your will first be drawn up by a Solicitor who is expert in that area.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Will you witness the creation of a power of attorney document?


Re: Republic of Ireland power of attorney documents:
Yes, this is a deed, so you need a) yourself b) a neutral witness c) the Commissioner for Oaths. We do not provide legal advice.

Re: Foreign power of attorney documents:
Yes, sometimes. We can sign power of attorney documents for certain other countries. For example we can sign documents for the Bailiwick of Jersey in the Channel Islands. We do not provide legal advice.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Q: Can you certify documents for use in Dubai/USA/US/UAE/Bulgaria/Cyprus?
A: No. You should instead see an Irish Notary Public. We can suggest the names of some local Notaries if you wish.

Click here to contact Commissioner for Oaths Cork


Protected by Copyscape  Copyright warning: The contents of this website are © Copyright 2018 If you copy our wording for use on another website then we will notice. If you are a website creator and you copy our wording then we may even email your client to let them know of the plagarism.
Disclaimer: This website was last updated September, 2018, however the material contained on this website is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Any and all information is subject to change without notice. No liability whatsoever is accepted by us for you taking action or refraining from taking action on reliance on the information contained on this site.